Regional Human Resources Officer
Vacancy Notice RO-HR-2017-01
Open to Internal and External Candidates
- Position Title : Regional Human Resources Officer
- Duty Station : RO Brussels, Belgium
- Classification : National Officer, Grade NOA, full time
- Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 April 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer (SRRMO) and the direct supervision of the Regional Resource Management Support Officer (RRMSO), the successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and supporting the human resources functions of the Country Offices (COs) within the EEA region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide first line support and guidance to the COs in the region in managing the human resources function as well as on interpreting and applying HR policies, rules and regulations in the local context. Coordinate with relevant units at HQs and the Administrative Centers in view of ensuring appropriate guidance and support is provided to the COs as necessary.
2. Review submissions by COs, including Terms of References (TORs), reclassification requests, etc. Provide basic advice and assist in ensuring the implementation of appropriate processes, mechanisms and internal controls in the COs within the region.
3. Provide direct advice to COs regarding staff members’ rights, entitlements and responsibilities when required. Report regularly and refer sensitive queries to supervisor, as appropriate;
4. Monitor the contractual status of HoOs in the region. Ensure relevant HR actions are properly coordinated and contracts and personnel action forms are timely issued.
5. In coordination with SRRMO undertake monitoring missions to COs in the EEA region to review local HR practices, provide advice and, in case of deviations, suggest measures to align them to the Organization’s policies and practices.
6. Provide direct support and guide the COs in maintaining the PRISM HR Module in order to keep the information accurate and up-to-date as well as with the roll-out/implementation of new HR PRISM updates including eREC (e-recruitment).
7. Monitor and follow up with COs timely and regular implementation of the Staff Evaluation System (SES).
8. Provide direct support to the small missions in the region with timely and accurate personnel administration and payroll processing.
9. Assist in implementation of up scaling or downsizing activities for COs in the region, in accordance with HR policies.
10. Contribute in planning and organizing staff trainings in the region, including related needs assessment, in close coordination with the Staff Development and Learning Unit. Prepare training materials and deliver human resources management trainings, including PRISM HR, when requested.
11. Track and monitor gender balance regional statistics; assist in planning for the achievement of regional gender targets and in promoting equal recruitment and treatment as per IOM Gender Policy, as delegated. Support efforts to increase awareness of staff on gender; sexual exploitation, harassment and abuse; and relevant IOM policies.
12. Ensure relevant filing and tracking systems of the RO Brussels are well maintained and updated regularly, as necessary.
13. Draft HR and administrative reports that may be required in coordination with the SRRMO, RRMSO, RD or HRM. Contribute in the development of relevant instructions, procedures and guidelines to complement or to adapt the general instructions of IOM with regard to human resources management functions.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Psychology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience in administration and human resources management;
- Familiarity with UN common system or similar systems is an advantage;
- Knowledge of staff rules and regulations, staff entitlements and benefits, recruitment and selection practices and training programmes;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, and coordinate human resources and administrative activities;
- High level of computer literacy. Good knowledge of MS Office specifically EXCEL is required. Knowledge of SAP HR module is a distinct advantage;
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any regional languages is an advantage.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Adapts best Human Resources practices to the requirements of IOM to facilitate the achievement of strategic objectives;
- Effectively applies knowledge of relevant Human Resources theories and practices, and recognizes their application within existing IOM processes;
- Delivers Human Resources solutions customized to the needs of IOM.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV or Personal History Form and Cover Letter) to ROBrusselsRecruitment@iom.int by April 28, 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
To download the Personal History Form please refer to
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 29.03.2017 to 28.04.2017
Job of the week
- Europe’s car industry appeals for tariff-free trade deal ahead of Brexit summit
- The Brief: French election descends into tyre fires and dolphins
- Syrian refugee in Romania: ISIS banned chemistry and biology
- Austria won’t increase contribution to EU budget after Brexit
- MPs accuse UK government of having ‘no clear’ SDG implementation plan